Wednesday, April 07, 2010

The Middle Place - Kelly Corrigan


The Middle Place - Kelly Corrigan (2008)

I don't know where I first read about this book, somewhere on the book blogosphere it must of appeared. The version I received from the library felt crisp and new, and I was quickly enticed into its pages.

Kelly is the mom of two young girls, when at 37 she discovers she has breast cancer. In this memoir she talks about the middle place, the time when she is both still a child of her parents and a parent herself. So once she starts treatment, her special father George is diagnosed with bladder cancer, which she must also cope with long distance.

Honest and still funny, it is really a memoir about relationships and love, with a smattering of cancer. Her voice is open and honest without going all crazy on eating a bijillion carrots and never touching a glass of wine again. Recently I met someone with cancer, a young mother who on her birthday wasn't even going to allow herself any cake or wine. She was on a raw food diet only. If that works for her great, and she has to do whatever it takes to get her through. Personally, I think have some fun, do some things that you enjoy, and if you enjoy food and drink, have some and be happy with it.

So I have to give it a bold 4/5 for being touching and wise.

No comments: