Saturday, April 17, 2010

The Power of Half - Kevin Salwen and Hannah Salwen


The Power of Half - Kevin Salwen and Hannah Salwen (2010)

Fourteen year old Hannah Salwen has her lightbulb moment when seeing man in a big flash car drive by the homeless man. Realising that if the car driver had a less costly car, the homeless man could have more. Inspired by this revelation, her family discuss how they could do more to help out.

Realising that they live in an overly large house, they could sell it and use half the money to help others out. So essentially this is the book of that plan, as they attempt to do good.

I enjoyed the fact that the family keep up with current events, are well informed, have discussions about more than American Idol and the latest fashions. Those facts alone are admirable. It is also noteworthy that they see the obsession with materialism that is so prevalent these days, and chose to downsize rather than keep wanting bigger, better, more expensive.

So a 3/5 for this book. I sense a sequel will come, telling us about what happens next. I wish I had had such a good idea at 14!!

1 comment:

Annie Bear said...

This looks really interesting! I'm going to see if I can get it at the library. Another book I would have never known about if I didn't see it here!