Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Mademoiselle Chanel - G. W. Gortner

This novel is the fictionalised life of Gabrielle Chanel, the influential French designer who changed so much in the fashion world.  Mainly focusing on her early life and love affairs, we get to see how after being abandoned by their father after their mothers death, the children are sent to an orphanage to grow up.  Showing a skill at sewing, she gains some early experience upon leaving and uses this talent to improve her situation.

I had to keep reminding myself that this was a story mainly from the 1920s and 1930s, as it seemed so very modern.  With her different lovers, and her own fashion line, stores, jewellery line and perfumes and mixing with the celebrities of the day. 

I just loved this book - I was absorbed from beginning to end.  I could see the wonderful world, the beautiful hats and dresses, the French heat in Riviera, I felt like I was there.  I didn't want this one to end. 5/5

No comments: