Monday, January 02, 2017

Unbroken

Yet another movie that I had missed at the cinema and was glad to be able to view on free television when it played last night.   The movies they have run over most of the holidays have been somewhat dismal.   I get that the Sound of Music, Love Actually are classics but having Sister Act, and every Adam Sandler/Jim Carrey December grade movies repeated at least 3 times a year gets a bit tiring.  So I am currently watching Victoria which is most entertaining.

So back to Unbroken, the story of Louis Zamperini an Olympic runner, who in the second world War crashes with his air crew into the ocean.  Surviving an amazing 47 days in a lift raft, he is rescued by the Japanese only to be tortured and forced into labor in a POW camp.

For me the most moving parts of the movie are in the final 5 minutes of the film, learning about what happened decades after the events depicted.  4/5

1 comment:

John Bellen said...

I've heard about this one - and I know what you mean about the traditionally run movies. I find Adam Sandler excrutiatingly unfunny, and the Jim Carrey version of "A Christmas Carol" to be just plain bad. Here in Canada, "The Sound of Music" seems to be run on New Year's Eve. I think it still is. I haven't had television for years. (I have a television set, to watch movies, but they aren't from the tv stations.)