Sunday, September 23, 2018

The Joy Luck Club

Amy Tan has to be one of my favorite authors, writing stories about Chinese American families that are just beautiful.  It is hard to believe that this 1993 movie adaption of her novel The Joy Luck Club is  now  25 years old, but when I watched it this afternoon I still found it engaging and warm, and I think I treasured more the stories of mothers and daughters.  I also recognized that for many of us now, the stories about what people endured during the second world war belong to our grandparents generations, few of whom now survive, and these first hand stories are being lost.

So it still made me a little teary listening to the women tell their stories, to think of 15 year old girls being sent off to be married, to a mother being forced to leave her twin baby girls on the side of the road, to a mother having her son dragged away from just after giving birth.  4/5

1 comment:

John Bellen said...

Twenty-five years already? Good Heavens...