Thursday, September 20, 2018

The Lido - Libby Page

Sweet and delightful come to mind when I think of this book.  It is the story of Kate who is 26, and living a lonely life as a journalist at a local Brixton newspaper.  She is offered the story of writing about the local outdoor swimming pool The Lido, which the council is considering selling to a big corporation.  She meets 86 year old Rosemary, who swims outside each day and shares her stories and her friendship with Kate.

Although a simple story in its premise, I liked the story about friendship and connection and about enjoying your life no matter what your age is.  I lived near Brixton many years ago, and can picture the parks and houses and this book reminded of lovely London summers.  4/5

1 comment:

John Bellen said...

I always chuckle when I read of swimming pools and parks being named after famous places, like the Lido in Venice; this swimming pool is hardly like that, I expect. And yet, I shouldn't laugh. These pools and parks are oases in deserts for many people, and may as well be a beach in Venice as far as they are concerned. They are havens, perhaps like this one is in this book.