Saturday, September 22, 2018

Wonder

After weeks of illness I am trying to get back into the rhythm of things that make me happy, good books, movies, candles, good food, walks and all the things that I enjoy.  Tonight I splurged a whole 99c on this movie from Apple itunes to watch.  I remember seeing the ads and had the vague feeling that I got the book out from the library when they got it, but didn't get into it after a couple of pages so I sent it back.  Therefore I didn't have high hopes for the movie, or any idea of the story.

Sometimes it is nice to be pleasantly surprised and in a whole lot of ways.  Julia Roberts was sweet and natural in the role of mother, with a nice relaxed hairstyle and wardrobe.  Is it weird that I would like her to be my mother too, even though we are the same age?  I wasn't put off by Owen Wilson, who usually annoys me in any comedies I have seen him in.  He seems as he ages that he suits the more light dramatic roles.  Have you noticed that nothing changes about him in any role he plays?  Always the same haircut, similar clothes - like he just rocks up and plays himself.

Anyway the story is about Augie a young man with a facial deformity, who after being home schooled heads off to start middle school.  He is nervous and scared of being bullied, but has to step into school alone and try to find his way, find friends and make his way through each day.  A story about courage and friendship that although is more of a family movie is still sweet for all ages.  4/5


1 comment:

John Bellen said...

I don't think I've even heard of this film. I'll have to research it.