Tuesday, November 19, 2019

The Hand Maid's Tale - Margaret Atwood

I've read the original novel several times over the years, watched the movie, and enjoyed the current tv series very much, so I thought I would reread the story as a graphic novel.  It is pretty true to the original story and makes it digestible in one quick and easily read.   Its pretty grim stuff.

I am sure that most people are aware of the story.  In a not too distant dystopian future in the country of Gilead, furtile women are transformed into handmaids whose job is to produce babies for their infertile ruling classes.  The story centers on Offred, a young woman who is separated from her young daughter and husband, and tries to figure out how she can escape from this rigid controlled society.  4/5

2 comments:

John Bellen said...

I thought the story very imaginative but, at least in the movie version, ordinarily handled.

sallyhicks said...

I had to do an essay on this book at University and it made me distinctly uneasy. The lecturer thought she was an angel as did the rest of the class. I rather either foolishly or bravely went with my gut feeling and thought she was a devil. I got a top mark but he wrote I highly disagree with you but you have qualified all you statements and cannot argue with them. I wonder how Margaret Attwell felt. I have never read any more of her books as I don’t like feeling like that. However she M A is clever to be able to manipulate our feelings