Friday, December 13, 2019

Middle Aged Lady Movie Night - Ophelia

Again the weather has turned grey and windy and it was a night for settling down on the couch.  I meant to see this one at the cinema, but many dramas seem to be only shown for a week or two as they are pushed out by superheroes and car chases, things I am not interested in at all.  Anyway as you may guess from the title, this is the story of Ophelia of Hamlet fame.  The movie was certainly beautiful, the castles and the dresses and even the men looked good without being stuck in skin tight leggings.  I was somewhat distracted by Clive Owen in a crappy hairpiece. 

Daisy Ridley played the title role well, the story just came across a little muddled without a lot of focus.  I wanted to say I understood it all, but it felt like it was a long time since I read Hamlet.  We studied it at school which is now over 30 years ago, and in the mid nineties I saw Ralph Fiennes play the title role in London.   Seeing the beautiful Victorian paintings of Ophelia in London made me love the character even more.   So 4/5 for this one.

1 comment:

John Bellen said...

How did Ridley do in a non-Star Wars role? I've wondered if she can do more.