Thursday, March 06, 2008

Nineteen Minutes - Jodi Picoult

Nineteen Minutes - Jodi Picoult (2007)

This was one of the many books sitting in my book mountain aching to be read. As my post graduate study time is looming again for the year (the last year too), I have had to return all the books to the library and attempt the ones that I own. So forgive me if there isn't too much variety, and the extended time it takes me to read each one.

I discovered Jodi Picoult, after she published her book Plain Truth(1999) about an Amish girl who ends up pregnant after visiting her brother out in the real world. I was hooked after that and really think that Jodi is one of my favorite writers who writes about topics of the moment, and with an amazing depth, infusing each character with warmth and personality.

In nineteen minutes she takes on the challenge, of looking at Peter who after years of bullying at school, becomes a school shooter, murdering 10 high school students. I read "We need to talk about Kevin" and I found it dull and drawn out and failed to see what all the hoopla was about. I found Jodis' book to be far more readable and enjoyable.

Jodi Picoult is one of the few authors that make me excited to see a new book on the shelves - I'm going to give it a 4/5.

No comments: