Saturday, March 29, 2008

Peony in Love - Lisa See

Peony in Love - Lisa See (2007)

After reading the wonderful Snow Flower and the Secret Fan I was drawn to reading Lisa Sees latest novel. I wasn't disappointed as it is another great story beautifully written. Peony is a sixteen year old girl, who is already betrothed in marriage, and sheltered in her house which she is never allowed to leave, she becomes obsessed with the an opera "The Peony Pavilion". Life for her then begins to imitate the lyrics that she constantly reads.

Following the story of Peony and her betrothed husband, we are drawn into the amazing world of seventeenth century China. Full of superstitions, traditions , ancestors and ghosts this is truly a magical novel.

I am going to give it a 4/5. I enjoyed it immensely, but felt that Snow Flower just eclipsed it as being the better book. Lisa See is a great writer and I look forward to reading more of her books.

No comments: