Monday, March 24, 2008

Snow Flower and the Secret Fan - Lisa See

Snow Flower and the Secret Fan - Lisa See (2005)
This is a novel, set in remote China in the nineteenth story and tells of Lily and Snow Flower, two girls whose lives become intertwined at the age of six and continues throughout their lives. An amazing tale of age old traditions that include arranged marriages and foot binding rituals that start at age seven, this book also includes the secret women's writing of 'nu shu' which allowed private messages to be sent between girls and women, and remained a secret for a thousand years.

This book was beautiful and reminded me of a Thousand Splendid Suns, in its telling of the lives of women. Definitely worth searching out at the library, and worth a 5/5. If you read it or have read it before, please let me know what you think.

PS I have amended my points for this book from a 4/5 to a 5/5. I have been thinking about it all week, and how much I enjoyed it, and learnt so much from it. So there you go, one of the best books I have read in some time.

No comments: