Monday, March 24, 2008

A Spot of Bother - Mark Haddon

A Spot of Bother - Mark Haddon (2006)
Mark Haddon is the author of The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time (2003), which I didn't love or particularly enjoy even though it made everybody elses top 10 books for that year. This book was recommended to me by someone at work, when we had one of those discussions about books we had read recently.

So what is it about? Well George is a typical father and husband, who is slowly going mad during his retirement. After discovering a small lesion on his hip, he spirals into a breakdown, that also coincides with his daughters wedding. I must admire Mark Haddons character development, they felt real to me and I think he did a good job of getting into the main characters skin without making them too cliched.

It didn't feel relaxed to me though, and maybe wasn't my best choice of long holiday reading. I am going to give it a 2/5. I feel harsh, maybe it deserves a 3, but I wouldn't put it on a recommended reading list. Oh all the chocolate must have gone to my brain.

No comments: