Friday, May 07, 2010

The Happiness Project


The Happiness Project - Gretchen Rubin (2009)

Gretchen Rubin decides to spend a year devoted to making her life happier. After a revelation on a bus, she faces happiness in all aspects of life, in regards to her children, family, husband, work and how happiness affects her. Many of them are only small changes, like deciding to be herself - to like what she likes and not be influenced by others.

A few things I can see that would be good to apply to my own life and a few things I have already found out on my own. About 8 years ago, I decided that I didn't really like drinking, that wine gave me a headache and made me feel sick, and that often I was peer pressured into it, when I would really just feel like an orange juice. So I stopped, and would just say no, which was difficult. I still do drink, occasionally, and only when I really feel like it. Last Friday, I had two Pineapple Cosmopolitans which were heaven, and then two more cocktails on Saturday. I think though all in all, I have only had about 10 drinks in the last 18 months.

I also would sit through the whole hours news broadcast, including the sports which I guess was habit. When I bought my dvr a few years ago, I changed my habits by recording the news every night, and now I just watch the first 10 minutes or so to see what has happened in the world. I don't watch any sports, headlines or otherwise, which has freed up time.

I'm going to do some stuff at the weekend like put a song on the ipod and dance around, it may just be in my living room. Even though I am working I can find 3 minutes to do this. I will get up at 7 to allow myself a shower, and to have a nice breakfast so I don't feel rushed, and I am off to day to stock the fridge with some quick easy meals so I don't feel harassed. I am also going to stock up on my favorite vanilla candles. I like to light them at night, especially in winter and leave the house smelling great.

I wasn't blown away by the book, but it did give me some small insights, which I could apply to my own days. Especially when in the winter, as the weather gets cooler and every day is the same, I can feel that I am just plodding through life.

A sturdy 3/5

3 comments:

Annie Bear said...

This is really interesting. I get so caught up in life sometimes that I forget all about happiness. I do think a lot of happiness does come from the small things. Also, I think you're definitely on to some good ideas for your life. You've really got me thinking.

Sushi said...

Interesting, making me want to read this book, even the small paragraph you wrote is inspiring me to be happier, i haven't been for the last 3 weeks. All in all, it's not worth it, to be in unhappiness, that's why im taking a week off next week!!

Pia K said...

sounds like a sweet book. it's important to treat yourself with these small everyday things that makes the gloomy days (which i suppose we all suffer from now and then for longer or shorter periods of time) a dash brighter and lighter.

however i like my bed and my sleep so i wouldn't be able to rise earlier to not feel stressed in the morning...:)