Thursday, May 06, 2010

My Sister's Keeper


My Sister's Keeper - DVD (2009)

I read the Jodi Picoult book that this book was written from, some time ago. She is one of my favorite authors, her style is easy and she writes intelligent female fiction that usually weave in interesting current ethical issues.

Anna Fitzgerald is 11, and she goes to see a lawyer because she wants medical emancipation from her parents. Born to be a genetic match for her older sister Kate, Anna wants to be able to make her own decisions and choose whether she wants to donate cells or a kidney to her sick older sister.

I didn't really expect to like the movie, but I was entranced by it and thought it was a good interpretation of the story. It portrayed the characters with dignity. love and humour that I never expected, and seldom see played out in many Hollywood movies.

Kate who has cancer was played by Sofia Vassilieva, who normally plays Ariel on Medium and I thought she was awesome. Now Miss Diaz, well her character could do with a good slapping at several stages throughout the movie (oh and a good sandwich too).

Abigail Breslin, well she did a good preteen job of being a normal looking and acting kid.

So grab a tissue, and a girlfriend, and sit on the couch and watch on a cold winters evening. It's a hanky loving 4/5 from me!!

No comments: