Sunday, July 25, 2010

I Love You Phillip Morris


I Love You Phillip Morris (2009)

I must admit to being in the camp of people that are generally annoyed by Jim Carrey. There are only so many kooky voices and silly faces that I find funny, and he usually uses and abuses them by mid way through the movie. In this new film he is somewhat restrained, as he plays Steven who starts off being married, a father and a cop, and yes Gay. So we then get to see him decide to move to Miami, and dress flashy and to support his new lifestyle he defrauds his employers.

The law eventually catch up with him, and Steven finds himself in a Texas prison, where he meets the love of his life Phillip Morris, played by my secret boyfriend Ewan McGregor. Although I laughed in the right places, in the end the whole thing fell a bit flat for me as it seemed to not be able to decide if it was a comedy or a drama, and seemed to fluctuate between the two somehow not doing either particularly well. There was also that feeling of not quite believing the two leads, their playing camp not quite the real deal. 3/5

This is a very adult type of comedy, so don't be taking the kids to this one or getting them the DVD, no no no, you might be having to answer some awkward questions.

No comments: