Tuesday, July 27, 2010

A Prophet


A Prophet (2009)

I'd watched Kate Rogers TV3 review of this movie this afternoon, so I'd heard about the gruesome razor blade scene. It did make me look at the carpet when it happened, and there were cringes from most of the audience, with most people a bit disturbed by the violence I would say. It had got rave reviews, and although raw and gritty, I wasn't thinking I was seeing anything new watching this movie.

A young Arab lad Malik is sent to prison for 5 years, and once inside is thrust into committing a crime in order to win the protection of the men who rule the prison. Gradually gaining their trust Malik finds himself involved in drugs when he gains access to the outside during day release and gets caught up in more crime.

It certainly made me think that French prisons are grim places to be, the only bonus is that they get to have a nice baguette every day. I think Hollywood versions make prison seem like day camp, where Jim Carrey can convince them to let him continually escape (in I Love you Phillip Morris) or in prison break, where good looking fellows stay all buff and fit, and still manage to escape. French prison looks tough! 2.5/5

No comments: