Thursday, July 29, 2010

Tinkers - Paul Harding


Tinkers - Paul Harding (2009)

Tinkers describes the last week of George Crosbys life. Surrounded by his family, on his deathbed he expects his last memories to be a linear pattern of his life, but instead it is a mosaic of events that formed him.

We hear about his father Harold, who was a tinker providing the essentials of life to men and women isolated in their homes and farms, long before the rise of cars and malls. How Harold suffered from epileptic fits that forced vast changes on his family. Georges memories swirl around, as his body begins to fail him, and through his clouds he feels his family beside him, talking and tending to him.

As I reach my middle age, I found myself drawn to books about the end of life, the closing down, the loss of memory and function. 4/5

1 comment:

Gilion at Rose City Reader said...

I am trying to read all the Pulitzer prize winners, so I will read this eventually. But I confess that the "mosaic" aspect of it does not appeal to me too much.

Thanks for signing up as a Rose City Reader follower.