Sunday, December 11, 2011

The Night Circus - Erin Morgenstern

The Night Circus - Erin Morgenstern (2011)

So this one has been the  darling of the book bloggers lately, and after a week of plowing through it I finally finished.  Erin Morgenstern is a supremely talented author, creating an amazing circus of the late 19th and early 20th century.  Appearing overnight at venues throughout the world, the black and white tents have amazing shows, each described in wonderful spooky detail.  At the centre of the story is the competition between the illusionists Celia and  Marco, who have both been guided since their childhood to perform in the circus.

The story for me looped around and I was tempted to give up in the beginning several times.  I am not a great lover of the fantasy genre, and I felt it was bordering a little on being too much for me.  I like a bit more narrative and plot.  I felt like the author was playing a game of keeping secrets about the story and I wanted to be let in more.  For that I have to give it a 3/5.

Still it was a nice distraction on some cool  crisp spring nights, tucked up under the duvet.  TV still sucks at the moment, and now with constant reruns of crappy Adam Sandler movies, I am more content with my pile of books. 

No comments: