Tuesday, October 18, 2016

The Couple Next Door - Shari Lapena

Two parents head to their neighbors house for a party, returning each half hour to check on their infant daughter Cora.  Then the baby is not in the crib - where has she gone and who took her?  Police are called and the mystery begins to deepen.

I didn't really connect to the story, it felt a little bit tv movie to me, like I had seen the premise on episodes of SVU or any other police drama and I found all the characters a bit annoying and unlikable.  The police seemed disinterested and I didn't believe how it all unfolded.  The title too was a bit misleading, as the neighbors weren't an important part of the story - or maybe I missed something. 3/5

1 comment:

John Bellen said...

The book may be a good reminder that many elements go into a successful story: characters, motivation, story, even sympathy. Not every author can pull it off.