Sunday, October 23, 2016

The Way We Die Now - Seamus O'Mahony

I feel a bit awkward saying that I like this genre of book, but I think it is the type of book everybody should read and discuss with their friends and family.  Seamus O'Mahony is a gastroenterologist who has worked hospitals in England and Ireland and is able to draw on his own personal experiences of dealing with many patients at the end of their lives.  In this book, he looks at the way we die, and how there is a myth around the good death, the one we picture of dying peacefully in bed in white linens, holding a loved ones hand and quietly slipping away. In reality for many patients, death may be painful, and drawn out by unnecessary and expensive treatments that may not gain any additional time or benefit for the patient.

It did bring me close to tears on several occasions, after witnessing my dads death this year and made me think about what I would want for myself if I were able to any input.  He describes how although now doctors are much better at discussing prognosis with patients and families there still needs to be a better system of being honest about risk benefits of undergoing further treatments/procedures and having honest discussions about facing death. 5/5

1 comment:

John Bellen said...

I don't look forward to dying, needless to say, and I suspect it won't be the easiest part of my life. I don't know if reading about others' ends would be a good idea for me or not.