Friday, August 03, 2018

There Are No Grown-Ups - Pamela Druckerman

There were some moments in this book that did make me laugh out loud, as Pamela Druckerman explores what it means to be in your forties, and how it maybe finally makes you a grownup.  Living in France, she finds that she is now getting ignored by men and waiters address her as Madame. 

I know it is mainly tongue in cheek, and after a brush with serious illness she is able to address being older without being too whiny.  I did find that I wanted to find out what she thought about turning 50, but I will have to wait 10 years for that book, and that by then I will be older and won't care. 4/5

1 comment:

John Bellen said...

I read recently that 'no one feels that he is the age he is.' I think that's probably true, and it may be how others treat us that makes us feel a certain age. As for waiters, I'd think it was people in their forties who had the most money to spend and were the most discriminating with it - a good age whose favour one should curry!