Saturday, October 27, 2018

A Spark of Light - Jodi Picoult

Jodi Picoult is one of my favorite authors, and I enjoy most of her books.  This one tackles the subject of abortion and tries to discuss both sides of the argument in a fictional setting, making it a bit of an emotive read.  There are lots of stories presented, from the anti abortion protesters, the clinic doctor, the nurses, patients and police, primarily it is a story about Wren, 15 year old high school student who goes to the clinic with her Aunty Bex to discuss contraception as it is the one clinic in the state that will provide education and support.

All of the stories were compelling, and like most of her books it was easy to get lost in the characters lives.  I struggled though with the structure of the book, as it was written chronologically backwards, which as a tool I could see that it worked by unraveling more of the story as it was told.  I just found it all a bit confusing and this book took me much longer to read than I expected.  3/5

1 comment:

John Bellen said...

I'm not sure I like 'gimmick' processes, such as a 'backward' plot, unless they are necessary to the story, which few are.