Friday, October 26, 2018

The Mercy

This is a bit of an odd little movie.  It is based on the true story of a weekend sailor Donald Crowhurst who enters a competition in 1968 to win a race to be the first sailor to sail around the world without any stops.  He gets assistance to build an untested boat, and has never sailed out on the ocean before.  After several difficulties early in the race, he stops and records vague readings on his position so that it looks like he is still busy competing.  Then his boat is found abandoned.

I always like Colin Firth, but somehow he looked old, tired and slightly constipated the whole time of this movie.  I guess we are all used to the English movie that is charming and sweet with a happy ending, so I felt a bit let down by this one.  The saving grace I think was that they got the look of the 1960s right, less Austin Powers and more muted palette of 1960s photographs that felt right to me. 2/5

1 comment:

John Bellen said...

I think I read about this man and his tragic adventure. I don't know how it unfolds in the film, but I think the belief is that he eventually went insane.