Saturday, October 13, 2018

I'Tonya

I'Tonya is a biographical movie following figure skater Tonya Harding.  From a brutal childhood with an overbearing abusive mother to a marriage as a teenager with an abusive husband, you can't help but admire the portrayal of Tonya by Margot Robbie.  Against all the odds stacked against her, she still managed to rise in the ranks of US figure skaters to be able to skate at the Olympics and was the only US woman to perform two triple axel  jumps in competition.

Of course the main reason she will be remembered, will be for her involvement with the injuring of her competitor Nancy Kerrigan.  I thought they did a great job of keeping the tension throughout the movie, and it rocked along with possibly the best soundtrack I have heard in years.  It actually had real songs that filled the radios throughout the time period, and I was singing along to Gloria and The Chain in my living room.  4/5

1 comment:

John Bellen said...

I'm sure the performances were dead-on but I could never admire someone who went to such lengths to disable an opponent. That doesn't negate the quality of the film, of course.