Thursday, October 25, 2018

Chocolat

A staycation break gives you the opportunity to laze about and catch up on reading and watching accumulated movies and shows.  My reading ability seems to have lessened, I can't seem to sit and concentrate for hours on end like I used to be able to do.  I can plonk myself in front of the television for hours on end, but find my reading is limited to an hour or so before going to sleep, although often I drop off after 10 minutes or so rather than. 

Chocolat is based on the story of Chocolat, who in the 1880s became popular in Paris as a clown.  Born into slavery in Cuba, he escaped and found fortune and fame appearing in circuses in rural France and Paris.  A beautiful and sensitive portrait, it was mesmerizing to watch the actor Omar Sy perform - there is something so compelling in each scene he is in.  It was a bit shocking to see his treatment by his employers, the police and even his partner.  4/5

1 comment:

John Bellen said...

Did the movie go into what the audiences found so appealing about him? That might be a study in itself.