Saturday, February 02, 2019

Mary Magdalene

Saturday night and nothing like a big plate of oven chips and a cold drink for dinner.  Time for a movie, and this one I knew little about, the movie that is, I guess I knew a little about Mary Magdalene.  So this is the story of Mary, who leaves her family to follow Jesus and witness his death and resurrection.  This is what I like to think of as a gentle story, lovely rural scenery, soft light, beautiful natural woven linens and shawls, natural faces and no overdone drama.  Rooney Mara as Mary was mesmerizing to watch, although I found the dialogue a little subdued and mumbled (I must be getting old), the movie had a wonderful score highlighting the cinematic scenes.    3.5/5

1 comment:

John Bellen said...

I'd read that this was a feminist revision of the Bible story. Since Mary Magdalene's story is not gone into detail, I suppose it is ripe for interpretation in whatever fashion is currently popular. I always prefer the Book to the movie, though.