Tuesday, February 26, 2019

The Lost Girls of Paris - Pam Jenoff

This is the story of three women.  Eleanor Trigg who is supervising the training and selection of women to be flown into France during WWII to disrupt the activities of the Nazis and receive and transmit messages via hidden radios.  Marie, a young single mother who is recruited and flown on a dangerous mission wondering when she will see her young daughter again.  And finally Grace, a young widower who in 1946 finds a collection of photos of young women, and sets out to find out what happened to them.

I have to say that I felt a little disconnected from all the characters and felt like they were all a little undeveloped.  The title felt a bit misleading, as the girls were not from Paris, and in fact Paris featured only a tiny bit in the story.  Marie who at the center of the story seemed to be in France, but had little to do with the locals and just seemed to be there not doing much.   I  don't believe that the local leader could be in France co-coordinating escapes and missions without speaking French .  I would have liked more back story about both Grace and Eleanor, they didn't shine out to me  and left me feeling like they were 2 dimensional.

I am enjoying the stories of the war that are being written lately, but this one was a little meh for me.  3/5

1 comment:

John Bellen said...

No, no one who didn't sound like a native Frenchman or woman would have been allowed to operate in France with any special operations. I wonder how much the author really knows about such work from the war.