Friday, February 08, 2019

Middle Aged Lady Movie Night - Red Sparrow

Break out the Pepsi Max bottle it's Friday night, and time to sit on the couch after a hard day at the hospital.  Cheap noodles for dinner and now time for a 99c movie -  I feel like the last of the big spenders.  Red Sparrow came out at the movies last year I think, and is a movie that I think is more concentrated on the style and feel than the story.  Jennifer Lawrence is always compelling to watch - and I always feel like she is a true movie star whenever I see her on screen.

In this movie she plays a Bolshoi Ballerina that ends up with a leg injury ruining her career.  In order to support her and her mother, she becomes a government trained seductress, using her skills to gain control and power.  Somehow I didn't end up falling into the story and believing what was happening, it just lost its natural edge and tried to be a bit hard and raw, but failed.  Grey uniforms, harsh accents and blunt haircuts didn't convince me and I kept getting distracted by internet shopping. 

By about 1/3 of the way through I got a bit bored, and wandered in and out of the living room, doing some chores while I semi watched.  When I cam in on a horrid torture scene that was enough for me and I switched it off, not caring how it ended.   1/5

1 comment:

John Bellen said...

There are certainly stories to be made of cold war era intelligence operations, but this one doesn't sound like it was done well.