Friday, February 22, 2019

Middle Aged Lady Movie Night - Sully

I am sure you are all familiar with the story of Captain Chesley Sullenberger  and his role in landing his passenger jet on the Hudson River in New York in 2009 after engine failure after a bird strike.  I didn't know a lot of the details except from what I saw on the news at the time, and although I spied the posters and trailers of this movie when it came out, I was more than happy to record it on the DVR and watch at my leisure.

It is quite the serious drama, and Tom Hanks plays the captain as a quiet and experienced man, who is not seeking the limelight.  I did like that it did not sensationalize the incident, instead playing the drama quite straight reenactment.  No dramatic rescues or sobbing reunions, heroic rescuers or sexy stewardesses.  If you do watch the movie do watch all the credits - it is worth watching the last 5 minutes. 

1 comment:

John Bellen said...

It sounds a superior sort of disaster movie.