Sunday, August 15, 2010

Objects of Our Affection - Lisa Tracy


Objects of Our Affection - Lisa Tracy (2010)

Lisa and her sister find themselves with all the family furniture and artefacts, when their mother has to go into a nursing home. Each piece reminds them of parents and grand-parents, and many from further earlier generations. As they each have their own homes, they decide that they must auction off several of the bigger pieces.

Saying good-bye to the family history is hard, as we learn about their importance and how hard Lisa and her family find it to let the pieces depart. I've encountered this in my own life, as grandparents and parents die, it is hard to see all of their things broken up and gotten rid off, and I often wonder what will happen to my own treasured things when I die. What second hand shop they will be relegated too, and who will pick over my trinkets.

3/5

1 comment:

Pia K said...

me too, i think of just that you mentioned in your last few sentences. it saddens me, the thought that noone really will care to keep mementos and think fondly of me one day. at least i don't think so. but well, life has, touch wood etc, been overall good i suppose, so not much to dwell on perhaps...