Sunday, August 29, 2010

Precious


Precious - DVD (2009)

It was a bit of a hard watch I must admit. The cruelty and violence made me cringe inside, but I have to say that I did enjoy it. Precious Jones is 16, and is pregnant with her second child after being abused by her father. He however is not around, and she is left to live with her horrible abusive mother, who seemed to not have one redeeming feature, except maybe rocking the curly wig. How awful was her mother, oh my goodness, words cannot describe.

Precious is thrown out of school, and adviced to try a special school where she begins to find some kind of acceptance and family, and begins to discover herself. What a stunning stunning performance, one that I must say is far worthier of an oscar than most over the past few years. She truly did a good job.

Makes you grateful for your own upbringing, seeing how much some kids must go through. So not an easy or cheerful watch, and I hid my eyes a few times, but I will remember it for some time. 4/5

2 comments:

Pia K said...

one day i'll watch this one too, but it does fall in the category of "need-to-be-in-reasonably-cheerful-coping-mood" so perhaps that will not happen so soon as i have a fair amount of old recorded tough movies to get through already...

Sushi said...

It was a really great one i must agree with you, yes totally deserves an Oscar than others, the young actress especially. So unforgettable.

Wouldn't want to watch it again but it makes you think doesn't it.