Monday, November 21, 2011

Secrets of Eden - Chris Bohjalian











Secrets of Eden - Chris Bohjalian (2010)

Chris Bohjalian is one of those authors who are consistently entertaining, and when I opened the book and read the first page I was immediately stuck into the story, which I love.  I want to be in love in page one, not page twenty or one hundred. 

Reverend Steven Drew begins the story by telling us how a local girl is orphaned after her mother and father are killed in a murder suicide.  This begins to make him question his faith, and life changes for him.  I would have preferred to follow one narrator throughout the story rather than switching between the pastor, the lawyer and the daughter, I found it somewhat distracting, especially as I am somewhat put off by lawyer genre books, just not my thing.

It did make me laugh reading the book group questions at the end of the book, it made me think I hadn't understood the book at all, it was like they were reading secret messages in the book, or reading it backwards like playing records the wrong way round.

Anyways, so a 3/5 for me, and a good sick bed read.

No comments: