Saturday, June 08, 2019

Middle Aged Lady Movie Night - Aquaman

I guess as a middle aged lady I am far from the target audience for a superhero movie.  I was aware of this one when it came out, but wasn't too bothered about seeing it.  One of my friends saw it with her kids and said that she did enjoy it,  so that made me think that I would watch it at some stage.

It is hard to be a woman and not be aware of Jason Mamoas own superpowers.  He is indeed one fine man, with all of his muscles, tattoos and long hair.  He plays Aquaman as a personable superhero who deeply loves his parents and it was his performance alone that made the movie watchable for me.

The story however seemed a bit patchy and hard to follow with a stilted script.  So many special effects were a bit of a distraction for me, it just made a lot of it false looking like it had all been performed in front of green screens. 

I don't know - maybe I am old fashioned but I think that a movie should be a good script and story first and that the effects and extras should be additional sending a simple movie into a fantastic one.  I don't know the necessity of seeing an octopus playing the drums  or a 10 minute underwater fight.  Watching this I can see why I stay well clear of the super hero genre movies.  They certainly have their audiences, but I will leave it to the teenagers to watch.   3/5

2 comments:

Kea said...

I'd seen the trailers before the moving came out, and it certainly didn't attract my interest. Now I really won't bother, lol. But when I was young, I used to watch (TV) "Man from Atlantis," and oh, I had a crush on Patrick Duffy! :-)

John Bellen said...

I have no desire to see this one. I did like the three "Iron Man" movies, and the three "Batman" movies with Christian Bale. But they were much more realistic than the majority of superhero films, and none of the newer ones attract me.

On what Kea wrote: I watched "Man from Atlantic", too, and it was Belinda J Montgomery who gave me something to watch on that one...