Wednesday, June 26, 2019

Solitaire - Jane Thynne

This is the 5th book in a series, about Anglo German Clara Vine, who is living in Germany just as the Germans have invaded France and things are beginning to look a bit dicey.   Summoned to see Josef Goebbels, she is worried that she might have been caught out, because of course our lady hero has a sneaky radio which could get her into trouble.

While I enjoyed most of this novel, I would have been more informed had I read the earlier books, and I felt it was a little forced that she would meet up with Ian Fleming and the Duke and Duchess of Windsor and have so much influence on them.   It would seem being an actress that she would stand out and would be being watched wherever she went, so her ability to sneak around seemed a bit doubtful to me. 3/5.

1 comment:

John Bellen said...

Yes, in real life, people with double lives are rarely famous in one of them.