Sunday, June 09, 2019

Rocketman

It was a cool wintry morning here in the city, and when I looked last night at the cinema sessions there was a 10am that looked like it would fit in with my plans.  I wasn't sure how much I wanted to see this movie, but thought it would be best seen at the cinema, as the last two music movies I had seen - Bohemian Rhapsody and A Star Is Born were both enhanced by being seen on the big screen an with a loud audio.

So as you probably already know this is the story of Elton John.  Rather than being a pure biopic, this one plays almost like a stage musical, but with enough of a story that I actually enjoyed it.  Taron Egerton does a fantastic job of portraying Elton John and singing his songs without it coming across as a forced impersonation or a karaoke performance.  I particularly enjoyed the first half of the movie, focusing on Elton John as a child when he was just Reginald Dwight. 

There is a lot of life and songs to be condensed down into two hours of movie,  so the movie does skim over some areas.  There is some sex, drugs and rock and roll but I think it was done well as that was not the focus of the story.  I was tapping my feet the whole time and smiling for most of the movie and would happily see it again.  5/5

I also wondered if it was Adele sneaked in as the cafe waitress who tells them that it is closing in a half hour?

1 comment:

John Bellen said...

According to imdb.com, an actress named Sian Crisp played a waitress in the movie, so if that's the waitress in question, it wasn't Adele.