Sunday, July 05, 2009

Marley and Me- Dvd

Marley & Me, Dvd (2008)
I had read the book a while ago, and while not awestruck it was amusing, sweet and sad at the same time. Primarily my main reson for avoiding the movie was Jennifer Aniston and Owen Wilson, so I waited til the dvd was out.

It was syrupy sweet, really it was and I despised the sleazy single friend senario, you know, buy her a puppy so she won't want kids and who wants to be married or tied down. It is not often you see the husband/partner stand up for himself, so cliched.

Jennifer Aniston, honey you don't really need four hours yoga a day or 16 sunbed sessions a week. Take a break, eat a sandwich and relax. You are forty now (I think), and really I want you to be more of a grown up than a 20year old wannabe. Owen Wilson, you weren't who I would have picked for this character, but I thought you did ok. You bought some sincerity to the movie, and you seemed to show some love for your on-screen family and that bad dog.

But of course the movie belonged to Marley, and all of his misbehaving really made the movie fun. I loved his adventures with the housesitter and his taking off at the beach. Still the tears for me came at the end of the movie, you can kill as many people as you want, but please don't show me a dying animal.

4/5

2 comments:

Pia K said...

I really hated that book, it was so badly written and exploited that poor dog. I thought. If I hadn't read the book I might have watched the movie.

And yes, I'm all with you on the last sentence...

The House That A-M Built said...

Here, here. Eat something Jennifer and no dying animals please. A-M xx