Saturday, January 09, 2010

Avatar


Avatar (2009)

My niece arrived to stay on Monday morning, and I had cleverly booked movie tickets to see Avatar in 3D for the later afternoon. This was important because there is an eleventy day wait to get a seat, as everyone wants to see it with the plastic specs on. They were to be front row seats, and we were very excited at hyperflexing our necks for 3 hours. About 3 minutes in, miss Belle said she didn't feel well, and I told her we could leave at any time. So exactly 1 hour in, we departed for the bathroom where the poor girl cradled the loo for a good hour. I got her home, but not before she was very sick on the footpath into the shopping bag, luckily it is not an unusual sight in my neighbourhood.

So after a few days recovery, we got to go and see the Lovely Bones yesterday (2nd time for me), and then to see Avatar tonight.

I enjoyed it, the story was very much a combination of Pocahontas, Braveheart, Dances with Wolves, An Ants Tale and A Bugs Life. Except it was written by Geek brigade. The 3D was awesome and much more vibrant than the normal version, which we saw tonight, however I think it was maybe a bit too much stimulation and a bit distracting.

All I could think of, was a 9 year old me going with my parents to see Star Wars, and how amazing all those new worlds were. I think my niece, at 13 has seen so many movies and video games that nothing is amazing to these kids, they're not surprised by anything which I think is a shame. It is always nice to be surprised by someone elses imagination. 4/5

1 comment:

Claire said...

I'm 25 and I saw Avatar 3D and felt nauseous too! I had to take the glasses off for about half of the movie time but put them on again a bit later. I think it's your mind adjusting to thinking it should be in motion ;)