Sunday, January 31, 2010

Persepolis - Marjane Satrapi


Persepolis - Marjane Satrapi

Luckily for me, the book and the DVD came into the library at the same time. As I may have mentioned before, I am not a huge graphic novel fan (this being only about the 5th one I have ever read), and although an interesting tale about her young life with her family in Iran, before going to Austria as a teenager and then to France as an adult - it failed to click with me.

I enjoyed the DVD much more, with its dynamic pictures and the voice of Marjane making it easier to follow the story. Complex in explaining some of the historical, political and social background of modern Iran, I enjoyed the young Marjanes story. I felt less compassionate to the older girl, as she seemed reluctant to make an effort, and badly affected by her depression.

Not exactly a cheery weekend watch, it certainly was more interesting than anything any of the television channels had to offer. 3/5

No comments: