Friday, January 01, 2010

A Change in Altitude - Anita Shreve


A Change In Altitude - Anita Shreve (2009)

I was thinking that Anita Shreve is a pretty consistent author and one who keeps focused on telling one story at a time. Rather than a complicated plot, hers are often simple, with no back and forth in time and characters, that can make a story muddled or overly long.

Patrick and Margaret have come to Kenya not long after marrying, and I guess the whole story encompasses their experience, the vast culture shock, the isolation and the complexity that is Africa. A bit of a cliche, with him being a doctor and her being a photographer, it was still an interesting read. I found the beginning a bit stiff and hard to get into, but once past the first thirty pages the story held together well and I was interested to see where it went. 3/5

2 comments:

Angel Simba said...

Thanks for letting us know about your book and film blog!

Pia K said...

shreve is one of my favourite writers, she's very skillful and i love her style. i don't always love her books though, the stories doesn't always appeal to me or have more than an element of chic-lit perhaps (oh the horror). haven't read them all but i have a few in my to-read-pile so i think i'll stay away from buying more from her at the moment, hm.