Tuesday, July 17, 2018

Beauty In The Broken Places - Allison Pataki

Allison Pataki is  7 months pregnant, and has gone with her husband Dave on a trip to Hawaii for a baby moon vacation, when he reaches across the seat to tell her that he can't see and shortly becomes unconscious after suffering a severe stroke. After an emergency landing, the family gather to support the young couple and even though his condition seems dire there is a small chance that the 30 year old orthopedic doctor will recover.

This memoir explores not only the events that followed after his life changing stroke, but the love story of Dave and Allison, and even though some of it is grim hospital story, it made me admire how hard this young couple have worked and how lucky they are to have such a supportive family assisting them. 4/5

2 comments:

sallyhicks said...

That sounds a really engrossing story. I can’t keep up with your reading although in my younger years I would do a book in one or two days. I have a pile lined up to read but it makes me sleepy.
When I was 8 I started boarding school and 3 of us of similar age had a bath for half an hour together before getting dressed for tea.
The one at the tap end would add hot water. The one in the middle would be the slushes up to me, and I at the far end I would read aloud, the Magic Faraway Tree by Enid Bayton. Have to say they were really the only Good memories of those days. Boarding School was hell.

John Bellen said...

What a terrifying event, and for someone so young. It’s good that they had a supportive family; so many do not have anyone but impersonal doctors and bureaucrats to help them.