Tuesday, July 10, 2018

Something In The Water - Catherine Steadman

Erin and Mark seem to have it all.  Attractive and successful with great jobs and a nice home in London - they are busy planning their expensive wedding and a honeymoon in Bora Bora.  But it is not all as it seems as we find out behind the scenes.

Mostly I found this a great read, although at stages I seemed to lose my sense of belief at what was happening with them, and got a bit frustrated at Erin, who at times seemed pretty on to it, and then would seem to do something stupid.  I am not sure that you would be able to keep ringing up a prisoner locked up for advice, and it seemed that she was a bit too trusting of what other people were saying, and not suspicious enough.  Still it was a new twist on what is often a bit of a tired story line.  I am sure it will do well - and make a good movie. 4/5

2 comments:

John Bellen said...

I don’t care for characters who are, for the most part, intelligent, but then do something stupid without reason. That usually makes the story hard to believe.

sallyhicks said...

Wish I liked fiction. I used to years ago but then discovered diaries, and biographies even more exciting. Letters too are great. Life can be stranger than fiction is how the saying goes.
When I was 16 I read Gone with the Wind’. I think that would be my favourite fiction of all my life. I am not so keen on autobiography’s as people usually like to put a good spin on things.
After I married my family had to move north to care for a slowly dying relative. From 1962-65 my dad wrote to me every day as he knew how I missed them. I have kept every one. What a joy it is to read a few occasionaly. He died soon after that but as I read them I can hear him talking. He was such a great writer and wonderful man. A hero at Gallipoli.