Tuesday, July 31, 2018

Science Fair

In the past few years at the Film Festival I have enjoyed the documentaries more than anything else.  I am not sure if that is a reflection of my middle agedness or the movies on offer, but sometimes real life is much more interesting and exciting than any fictional story. 

Science Fair follows several students who are trying to win a spot at the International Science Fair of 2017 to be held in Los Angeles.  I may have thought I was relatively smart as a teenager and well read as an adult, but wow this just blew me away with how intelligent these teenagers are, with subjects and topics that I was struggling to understand what they were even talking about. 

It was also interesting to look at the social side of the students lives.  In most high schools it is usually only the sports stars achievements are celebrated, and you feel sad for the young student in North Dakota who has previously come third in the competition, yet no one knows who she is at her school.  There was something to like about all of the students and teachers shown in this movie, and all the small audience I shared the cinema with enjoyed this one.  Hopefully it has all the success that the spelling bee movies from a few years ago had.  5/5

1 comment:

John Bellen said...

The fact that schools celebrate sports rather than intellect is no surprise, and is both a cause and effect of the stupidity of society's choice of heroes in general.