Sunday, July 15, 2018

The Greatest Showman

Normally I am not a fan of the musical genre, as I get annoyed with the break into song part of it, but I do have and enduring love of Grease.  I didn't want to really see The Greatest Showman, but was ok with watching it at home on the couch.  This is the very fictionalized version of the story of American Circus owner PT Barnum played by Hugh Jackman.  It all came across a bit forced and corny to me with sparkly costumes, pristine sets and perfect hair and makeup, whereas I am a bit of a fan of grit and dirt and realism.  The movie just seemed to lean on the cheesy side pc side, with probably the best part of the movie being the songs themselves.  2/5

2 comments:

sallyhicks said...

Even as a young child I just didn’t like musicals. I would be so engrossed in the story and suddenly everyone burst into song.
I went to Brigadoon when I was about 12 and people started walking out and I thought ‘thankgoodness so can I ‘.

A real shame as my husband really enjoys them.

John Bellen said...

I enjoy musicals and though I like realism, with musicals, I am the opposite. Since breaking into song is not realistic anyway, I may as well have bright colours and clean people, just like the big MGM musicals of the fifties. Boy, colours were bright then!