Monday, December 31, 2018

Best of 2018 - Books and Movies








I managed a good solid 106 books read in 2018, and these are the outstanding ones, the ones I will remember.  The Last Girl by Nadia Murad,  Nadia won the Nobel Peace Prize in 2018 for telling her story about being kidnapped from her home by Islamic State and the abuse she endured.  Harrowing, and hard to read, but an amazing story that is hard to believer this occurred in our modern world. 

Circe - just amazing story of a witch Circe, who is banished to a remote island in Greece in the time of heroes, gods and nymphs.  Easy to read and like one long poem.  It made me want to learn about classical Greek stories.  Almost.

Every Note Played is one of Lisa Anthonys finest books.  Richard Evans is a concert player whose world changes drastically with the diagnosis of  ALS.  I cried at the end and could still tear up thinking about the story.

With the End In Mind.  If like me you are a mega fan of Atul Gawandes Being Mortal, this is the companion piece to that.  Everyone should read it. 

The Tattooist of Auschwitz -  although this is a fiction book, the saddest part is that it is based on truth and my heart just broke to read this story.  As the distance from WWll increases, I find these stories more and more compelling.  The hardships that these people endured are truly almost impossible for us to comprehend in our lazy lifestyles. 


2018 was the year of the flu for me, and post viral coughing has excluded me from the cinema from August.  I have got rid of my cough and then my bestie has been snuffling away from October.  The ones that have stuck with me are A Quiet Place - a scary movie about monsters who track you down if you make any noise.  Science Fair was one I saw at the Film Festival and follows a group of international high school students who attend the International Science Fair.  I was blown away by their brilliance and work ethics and it makes me less scared of the future.  Three Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri - just when I was getting a bit bored with dramas, I thought this one was a stunner. 

So Happy New Years to you all and wishing you a healthy and happy New Years and all the best for 2019!!!

1 comment:

John Bellen said...

Quite a varied selection. You do go through a lot of books and movies! Good for you. More people should do this.