Thursday, January 10, 2019

Bohemian Rhapsody

The holiday film festival continues with one of the last cinema showings in the city.  It was worth seeing it on the big screen - I wished I had seen it at an even bigger one, but todays movie theater was ok. 

From the opening theme, done in Rock guitar Queen style I felt the tears well up.  I love Queen, and have enjoyed their music for years, and was an over excited 16 year old camping in my living room to watch Live Aid in 1985, so from the first scenes my heart swelled with excitement.  This movie focuses on Freddie Mercury and his story, and Rami Malek does an amazing job and I am sure will be in front of the line for the Oscar this year. 

This is by no means a documentary, but instead is a dramatized version of the Queen story, and I am sure presents a quite sanitized version of what must have been quite the Rock and Roll lifestyle.  Our audience didn't mind, and kept cheering each time his much loved cats came on screen.  All the oldies kept mentioning about the crowd at Wembley Arena - how it must have been to be in that crowd if you needed to use the bathroom?  To be fair that was my first thought as well.  No way could I stand up for that long time either.

So I did have to dab away some tears at the later stages of the movie - the music moved me.  For that I would give it a 5/5.


1 comment:

John Bellen said...

One often thinks of practical things when one thinks of famous moments...