Monday, January 28, 2019

Green Book

A warm summers day was made easier by hiding in the air conditioned cinema today.  It amused me that I booked online a couple of days ago, and when I arrived it appeared I was the only one to see this movie.  I was then joined by  two other ladies,  one of course had to come and sit right beside me instead of in her own row.

I didn't know a lot about this movie going in which is always nice.  It is the story of Tony Vallelonga, an Italian from the Bronx who takes on a job to drive pianist Dr Don Shirley on a tour of the American South in 1962.  I enjoyed the story as it managed to balance the humor and drama in an intelligent way that so many American films have failed to do in the past few years.  Tony finds many of his prejudices challenged as he drives Dr Shirley from gig to gig.  Both men learn from each other and the film is able to tackle many issues in a simple but sensitive way, not only dealing with race and sexuality, but marriage and love and social class without being preachy in its story telling.

It also did a good job of making me feel immersed in 1962 straight away with its design and style,  I felt sucked into that world.  Except for one scene, I am sure as they crossed a bridge out of New York there was a SUV following them on the road - not quite around at that time period.

5/5

1 comment:

John Bellen said...

It sounds like a good movie. I don't care for too many that try to teach me a lesson first and tell a story second. This seems to be about the story-telling. A good review. (And I notice things like anachronisms, too. It's fun to see them, sometimes, but distracting.)