Tuesday, January 22, 2019

In His Father's Footsteps - Danielle Steel

I haven't read a book of Danielle Steels in forever, but reading the blurb on this one I picked it up off the shelves for a bit of holiday reading.  Jakob and Emmanuelle are rescued from Buchenwald Concentration Camp and face a long time to recover from all that they endured in the war.  Sponsored for a job and home in New York, they set sail for a new country with no money and no family or friends.  They are able to rebuild their lives and establish themselves with help from new friends and I enjoyed their story.

I did struggle with the 2nd part of the book which is more the story of Max their son and his wife, which for me felt quite forced and I felt a bit distanced from these two spoiled characters.  Still it was easy light reading. 3/5

1 comment:

John Bellen said...

It sounds like the second half was quite different than the first, and probably would have turned off a number of readers who liked the initial part.