Thursday, August 01, 2019

Maria By Callas - Film Festival 2019

I didn't know much about Maria Callas, except from the articles that were in the back of the Australian Womans Weekly in the 1970s when I was a kid.   This documentary is made up from old home movies, film footage and interviews where she talks about her life.   From an unhappy childhood to becoming one of the most celebrated singers of the 20th century.  She was fascinating to watch, there was something hypnotic about her, not just her talent but the way she moved and her charisma  and beauty draws your eyes to her.

I was amazed by the crowds that gathered just to wait for her to arrive off planes, turning up at hotels and opera houses.  The male dominated press were pretty relentless pushing and shoving her and asking her intrusive questions - it is no surprise that she was guarded in many of her interviews.

Her singing itself was amazing.  I don't know anything about opera, it is not a genre that I have ever seeked out, but one can hear her talent.  Seeing the movie on the big screen was helpful as the Italian/French songs were subtitled.  4/5

1 comment:

John Bellen said...

I always get Callas mixed up with Teresa Stratas, who is Canadian, but also of Greek descent. I enjoy opera, but principally 18th century opera, which isn't performed much. From what I hear, Callas was one of the big-time divas.