Saturday, August 31, 2019

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

I'm sorry to say but I found this a bit of self indulgent boring cinema.  Leonardo DiCaprio plays Rick Dalton,  an aging movie star who spends his time hanging out with his stunt double Clint played by Brad Pitt.  The first hour is a drawn out affair explaining how the now has been actor has appeared in many b grade movies and low grade television shows and can now feel his star appeal waning.  Margot Robbie, who gets third billing, but little actual screen time in the movie plays movie star Sharon Tate, who moves in with her husband Roman Polanski to the house next door to Rick. 

I nodded off at the beginning as it was so boring, although it did get better in the second half.  I did find my mind wandering, and most of the movie I was distracted thinking about the production wondering how they got the streets closed off to have so many period vehicles in shot and how Austin Powers like the playboy mansion scene seemed with gogo dance movies.  A lot of time was also devoted to playing Brad Pitt - Fit or Faded?  Still pretty fit I think, although grossed out that movies still think it entertaining to think of pairing a 55 year old with an 18 year old female.

I am glad that I had let a friend make the movie choice today, it would not have been something I normally would have paid to see and would have been content to wait until it was free on the television (that  sounds like something a middle aged woman would say, which I am).  2/5

1 comment:

John Bellen said...

I've never been a fan of Tarantino, and this one doesn't sound like it will convert me.